What is OYAP?
Why take OYAP?
There are many practical benefits from apprenticing:
- It allows you to explore and find the right career for you.
- The transferrable skill you learn can be used in many different careers.
- You can start training in a skilled trade while completing the requirements for an Ontario Secondary School Diploma.
- Skilled trades people feel a sense of accomplishment seeing the result of their efforts at the end of the day.
- You get paid while getting work experience, and wages increase with skill levels.
If a High School student signs a Registered Training Agreement (RTA) with his Cooperative Employer, there can be a chance that they will be paid while still gaining their last credits before graduation. Once the students graduate with an OSSD, they become a regular Apprentice under the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development.
In what sectors can I apprentice while still in high school?
- Automotive Service Technician
- Information Technology
- Educational assistant
- and more…
How long is an apprenticeship?
Becoming certified in a trade requires on-the-job and in- school training done at college, and lasting 2-5 years.
Is apprenticeship right for me?
Consider pursuing an apprenticeship if:
- You enjoy hands-on learning and have good mechanical and spatial abilities.
- You enjoy fixing things, assembling and disassembling structures.
- You are able to solve problems, determine why something does not work and how it can be done better.
- You are prepared to complete an apprenticeship.